One Step Further.
One Step Further’s mission is to provide free legal services to qualifying teenage parents who, due to lack of resources, have no access to the services of an attorney.
The One Step Further Program operates in a series of three steps:
STEP 1 :
General information group sessions are held for for teen parents. A lawyer who can explain the law and answers general questions will lead the discussions.
STEP 2 :
Teens who qualify as low-income and who have their parent or guardian’s permission, can meet with a lawyer for one-on-one confidential counsel and advice.
STEP 3 :
In certain cases, a lawyer will prepare the necessary legal papers or represent a young parent in court once the teen’s legal guardian files the prepared documents.
Note: Please call our office to schedule an appointment for the One Step Further Program: 951-369-3009.
- You must qualify as a low income individual.
- You must physically live in either Riverside or San Bernardino County.
- IELLA is able to help U.S. citizens, legal residents, and non-legal residents.
- If your case is opened in Riverside or San Bernardino County, but your reside outside of Riverside or San Bernardino County, we will not be able to assist you.
- You must have a legal matter that we assist with. If you are uncertain whether your case is an acceptable case, please contact us for confirmation before attending a clinic. Briefly describe your legal matter to our staff and have your court case number, if applicable and available. We do not provide legal advice over the phone, the staff member that you will be speaking to cannot advice you about your case.
- Since we receive federal and non-federal funds such as from United Way and the State Bar of California, we must adhere to their specific requirements. We do not disclose our eligibility guidelines.
- If you have a case that we can help with, you must attend a legal aid clinic to determine if your are eligible for our services.
- You will be asked to sign an Asset and Debt Acknowledgement and Declaration of Income under penalty of perjury that the information you provided was correct.
- We do not determine eligibility over the phone.